How to manually update iOS on Apple devices
Apple is known for easy to use user interface and is easy to update using OTA and iTunes yet sometimes you may end up downloading a particular update or in recovery mode forever and you need to reset firmware manually using an alternate way.
So there’s a very simple method to update your Apple device whether its an iPhone, iPad or iPod to latest release with just few clicks.
Before you begin do not forget to backup your iOS device. Sometimes data might be lost during the process.
iOS 8.1 Download depending on device you own.
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation WiF)
- iPad Air 2 (6th generation Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad Air (5th generation WiFi)
- iPad Air (5th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi + Cellular)
- iPad mini 2 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 2 (CDMA)
- iPad mini 3 (CDMA)
- iPad mini 3 (WiFi)
- iPad mini 3 (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (GSM)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (CDMA)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 4s
- iPod touch (5th generation)
Step by Step Procedure
- Download the iTunes on you Mac or Windows PC and install it. Skip if you already have iTunes installed.
- Download the iOS 8.1 ipsw file depending on your device.
- Connect your Apple Device with PC and Open iTunes.
- Go To device page in iTunes.
- Now depending on your device it will show name and model along with option for Check for Updates or if you are stuck in recovery mode Restore option will be present.
- Hold the “Shift” key on Windows or “Options” key on Mac and then click Check for Updates or Restore.
- After that manually browse to the location where you saved the .ipsw file downloaded in 2nd step.
- Let iTunes do it work and wait. It may take more than 15-minutes be patient.
- Congrats now you have restored or updated your Apple device.
Solutions to common errors
- Error 3014: Disconnect every other device plugged in USB and try again and use USB 2.0 port if possible.
- Sometimes it might get stuck during restore process repeat the process from beginning.
- It might take more than one time to restore a device stuck in recovery mode try again at least 4-5 times if you don’t get success in first attempt.
- Lastly use original cable if you have it as they are more reliable. Those who don’t believe cable have difference, believe me they do.
So that was it so now you can successfully manually update to iOS 8.1 on your Apple Device. If you have any issues feel free to contact via email or comments below.