After Cyanogen Inc denial to update OnePlus One in India, OnePlus worked day and night to get their own ROM which will be basically AOSP version ready for One and today on the new year day OnePlus One has released first community build of Android Lollipop for One.
If you follow the steps below you can get to Android Lollipop which is in Alpha stage. But before you proceed make sure you know what you are doing as this is Alpha and many bugs are still not fixed so it might be cause of some serious issues and below are some known bugs.
- Data roaming is on by default. Make sure to turn if off to avoid potential charges.
- As always, flashing a custom ROM incurs the risk of bricking your phone. Make sure you know what you’re doing and backup everything.
- Camera and video may be unstable. This build supports 4k video, however quality may be low as it is not fine-tune.
- Capacitive keys do not turn off when you enable software keys.
- Clock crashes periodically.
- If using the new app pinning feature in Lollipop, make sure to turn on the software keys first. Otherwise, you will have to reboot your machine.
- On first boot, startup time will be a bit slow.
Steps to Install OnePlus One Android Lollipop Community Alpha Build
Boot into TWRP recovery. You can do this on your OPO by holding both the volume up and power buttons. If you don’t have TWRP follow this guide.
Once you are in the recovery interface, the first thing you need to do is make a Backup by going to backup and then go to Wipe and do advance reset selecting data, cache, System, and Dalvik. Note that you will lose all of your files so make sure everything is backed up before continuing.
After the wipe, go to install and find the zip you copied to your device and confirm flash by swiping. This should flash the ROM to your device.
After flash is complete. Clear your cache again. If you have GApps, install it now just by repeating step 4. Reboot your phone.
You should now be booted into the new ROM. Enjoy the sweet Lollipop.
Android Lollipop build is good and runs smooth but has its own share of bugs which needs to be ironed out and most probably as days passes more and more stable the ROM will get. So share the word with friends to let them know their 2015 present has arrived.