How Asus is Mis-Leading Users with Zenfone 2

328

Asus Zenfone 2 was launched in India and many parts of worlds with several variants. The model, ZE550ML priced at INR 12,999 which is most economical is also known by same name Zenfone 2 and this brings us to Asus marketing technique which is effective but misleading.

Asus is basically offering four variants of Zenfone 2 in India. While most of the specification remains the same, there are several key differences efficiently misleading consumers and creating confusion, so let us make everything clear with our detailed analysis on Zenfone 2 variant. For easy understanding we are comparing all models with the high end 4GB RAM model as almost all major tech websites have received it as review units.

First thing first what are the variants. There is basically four variants, which can again be classified in two named ZE550ML and ZE551ML. ZE550ML is base Zenfone 2 variant costing just INR 12,999 while ZE551ML again has three more variants one with 2GB RAM, another two with 4GB RAM.

Update

Don’t forget to see Asus extra little spam comments done back to back when I tweeted them link for my article. That’s what I am talking about, this is how brands mislead. If you see those comments, they are not from fanboys who are awesome, but clearly formulated to prove this post wrong. You can also open their discuss profile to see that they all have commented for very ย first time. I was also banned on their official facebook group when I defended Mi4i unfair comparison with Zenfone 2.

Asus Back to Back Spam comments
Asus Back to Back Spam comments

Zenfone 2 ZE550ML vs ZE551ML

ZE550ML with Matte Finish Back
ZE550ML with Matte Finish Back

Zenfone 2 ZE550ML vs ZE551ML has lot in common still following are the key distinguishing features :

• HD 720p Display instead of 1080p found in other ZE551ML variants.
  • The Back Cover is similar to one found in Zenfone 5 with matte finish. It does’t feature the same metallic brushing as found on ZE551ML variants. It is not detailed by Asus either knowingly or unintentionally. As this is one of defining aspects of looks Asus should have mentioned it as first wave of users will be highly disappointed. Or Asus should have renamed ZE550ML as Zenfone 2 lite to make it more clear to consumers.
  • It also lacks NFC which is not ground breaking still some users use NFC.
  • No Gyro-Scope in ZE550ML which is most major hardware difference. Gyro-Scope is required for proper functioning of Google Cardboard and many other precision related operations.
  • It only comes with 2GB RAM.
  • Lastly the in-box charger is not capable of quick charging. Though it has been clearly mentioned in website at footnote, so you cannot blame Asus for this.
ZE551ML with Brushed Aluminum Finish
ZE551ML with Brushed Aluminum Finish

So here was the list of difference in Zenfone 2 ZE550ML and ZE551ML. Now lets find out how are three model of Zenfone 2 ZE551ML different from each other.

ZE551ML Variants Differences

• One variants have 2GB RAM while other two feature 4GB RAM.
  • 2GB RAM versions has 16GB storage while other two feature 32GB or 64GB.
  • 2GB RAM version has Intel Z3560 SoC clocked at 1.8GHz while 4GB variants have Z3580 SoC clocked at 2.3GHz.
  • Only 4GB variant come with Quick Charger included in retail box.
  • All ZE551ML have NFC, Gyro-Sensor and their is no difference whatsoever apart from those listed above.

So now you can easily get the one which is perfect for you. ZE550ML is priced INR 12,999 and ZE551ML 2GB variant is priced INR 14,999. The highest model with 4GB RAM and 32GB ROM is priced at INR 19,999 and the 64GB version will cost INR 22,999.

Guys if you liked the post please share it with your friends via Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Whatsapp…

You might also like More from author

19 Comments

1. Anthony P says

Hey Vivek, I’m a regular follower of phonehorn and your articles. This piece however is a disappointment to be honest. Features of individual variants are mentioned on flipkart. How is asus misleading buyers then? I preordered the 14999 one clearly knowing its specs.

1. Vivek Goel says

Its about branding which is confusing as well as Reviews which corresponds to a single unit that is ultra premium…. So you may be disappointed now but many would be Zenfone 2 buyers had to be properly informed about major differences… I am not saying ZF2 is bad but it is confusing to general people with so many variants

1. Anthony P says

Well, Maruti advertises the Celerio as an auto gearshift car but that’s available only in the top-end variant. This is a general practice i feel. Consumers are well aware of their choices ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Vivek Goel says

That’s why I am informing my readers…. Now smartphones are becoming like cars…. So kindly check nicely ๐Ÿ˜‰

2. Yawn Sambandh says

Vivek,
    A smartphone is not meant for dumb people. No one is misleading anyone.
    Every detail is mentioned on Flipkart. It is nothing but common sense, a company will talk about its flagship model. We all are blessed enough to read and understand these basic things.

Unfollowing you, bro. Not cool.

3. Nicole says

Vivek, frankly I think the headline of your blog is misleading! The features of each of the variants is mentioned upfront on Flipkart. As a consumer, you or anyone else can make an informed decision. Where is the question of misleading?

4. gaurav says

Hi Vivek, I think you should re-look at your title and even the content you have here. This is a simple pricing/marketing technique used by not only Asus but practically every brand! and FYI all the comparisons/feature differences mentioned above are already there on flipkart and even the brands website!

1. Vivek Goel says

Yeah I understand it Gaurav and thought of changing this title but Asus sent too many spammers here, and now I think the title is best suited after the barrage of comments…. You can see for yourself….. Anyways thanks for your suggestion…..

5. nikhil pawar says

As a gadget enthusiast I don’t find any hidden information or your so called ‘Mis-leading Users’ thing with Asus. You call yourself a gamer and if you don’t know what Asus stands for, That’s big lol man! Now the thing remains, if you’re looking for 4gb RAM in 13K today then build your own! ๐Ÿ˜€

1. Vivek Goel says

Please read article again I didn’t say I want a 4GB var at 13k, but I need a Gyroscope and Metallic Brushed back case… I love HTC too but once they were found guilty of spamming Samsung so I am just informing my readers….

6. WhyNot says

Quite surprised with your misleading blog here. I’ve been looking to buy a new phone and just like everyone else, I’ve been researching and comparing phone specifications across brands and models. When I read your blog title, I immediately clicked (which maybe was the purpose of it), but on having read the blog you seem quite unnecessarily anti Asus! I found an unbiased direct comparison of features anywhere else and even flipkart! Please don’t resort to misleading titles to get your blog noticed.

7. vishala says

Vivek, Every detail is given in Flipkart and smart people will go & read from there what brand is offering to their customers. Your article is not adding any sense for your reader but it is Misleading. ๐Ÿ™‚

1. Vivek Goel says

As of now they have fixed their listing on Flipkart, I contacted customer care and informed them also…. Earlier they mentioned ZE550ML has a 1080p display and many other differences…..

8. RAHUL SURAM says

A chartered accountant reviewing on smartphone, that’s not a
    smart move. Please do your HISAAB-KITAB.
    And do you play “Lost in Limbo”? Short temper shove it in your ass.
    RourKELA eeeyuuuh!

1. Vivek Goel says

I can see your Frustration…. you are so so cool with your words… OMG and you did register today to comment specially for this occasion I just found out opening your Disqus profile….. Isn’t it funny mate…… CA means I can’t talk about Tech….. Come on I dare you in live Hangout Battle….. And CA don’t do HISAAB KITAB……. Their primary objective is Audit and ASUS Zenfone 2 got audited by a CA…. now tell ASUS not to damage their image more as this lousy comments can affect them when I spread it in our CA Groups…. And take a note newbie….. Once I get my all three Zenfone 2 variants in May I will be posting a honest review… I don’t hate Asus, I have recommended many friends to use Zenfone 5 and even many are awaiting Zenfone 2 Pre Orders to arrive. This post means to be informational to my readers…. Don’t dare abuse here again…..as that reflect on your poor upbringing….

9. William Drac says

You state that there is no gyro-sensor in the ZE550ML. The reason I purchased this was to run Google cardboard and Virtual Reality software/apps. Several websites state that it does have a gyro, so when I received it, it failed to run these, including several gyro detection programs which failed. I’ve contacted the vendor and awaiting reply.

I feel ripped off ????

1. Vivek says

See that’s what confuses, when you have a similar named smartphone with just few minor differences. That’s why I created a dedicated post to address the issue. Anyways I hope your product gets returned

10. Emil says

I will never buy again products from ASUS. This Zenfone 2 550ML was the last time they cheat me. In Italy they are selling this phone (over the italian Amazon) as the real Zenfone 2. Even now if you go there, they say the only difference is the processor speed and memory quantity. Little f/(&/(s aren’t sayin’ that the phone lacks also sensors and the more important stuff, the gyroscope. Until my Google Cardboard from the US arrived, 30 days have passed and they didn’t want to change my product. I cannot give up on Amazon, because I’m using their Cloud services, but I can only say bye bye Asus.

11. Emil says