How to Root and Install TWRP on Moto X Play
Moto X Play is an impressive midranger from Motorola looking to battle out the competition from Chinese manufactures and today we will help you get most out of this midrange phablet.
Rooting your device may cause loss of warranty.
You are only responsible for any further losses and damages caused to device. We will not be held liable in any circumstances.
Before Proceeding read Pros and Cons of Rooting
Guide on How to Root Moto X Play Easily
Before you proceed any further make sure to charge your device above 30%, though we recommend a full charged device before rooting.
Step -1: Make Sure Device Model No
Check the model number of device and make sure you have correct model or device for which the guide is prepared. Be warned before using this guide with any other product from same brand or different brand.
This guide is for Moto X Play XT1562 only.
Step 0: Backup your Device
Backup is mandatory as this will wipe data. Backup is always recommended. Below is guide on how to backup most of your data.
Step 1: Downloads the following files
USB Drivers —- MOTOROLA DEVICE MANAGER FILE | Download Link
ADB Drivers —- Download 15 seconds ADB Installer (9.1 MB)
Step 2: Unlock Bootloader
This can be trick for some but unlocking bootloader is important as without unlocking you cannot flash the recovery and hence cannot obtain root.
First Install the drivers and and install ADB on your PC.
IMPORTANT ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST PLEASE BACKUP EVERYTHING ON DEVICE
- Turn off your device.
- Restart in fastboot mode by holding Volume Down + Power key for 5 sec and releasing it.
- Connect your device with PC using data cable.
- Open the ADB folder present in your drive which you installed using 15 seconds adb installer.
- Right click inside the adb folder and select Open Command Window Here.
- A command window will open just type the command below.
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- A four line code will appear. Copy the code without any space in notepad or word.
- Now just visit motorola’s unlock the boot loader site and sign in using Google+.
- Paste the code copied earlier in 6th Step field on Motorola Bootloader Unlock website and click on Can my device be unlocked.
- Now just Agree to terms and conditions and Request Unlock Key.
- An unlock key will arrive in your email. Now again open the ADB like in Step 5 and type
fastboot oem unlock YOURKEY
Note: In place of YOURKEY you need to type the Unique Key you received via email.
- Congrats now you have successfully unlocked the bootloader. Let the device start up.
Step 3: Transfer the downloaded SuperSU
Transfer the downloaded SuperSU.zip to device memory and the proceed to next step.
Step 4: Reboot to Fastboot mode and Flash Recovery
- Turn device is off and press Volume Down and Power Key together for about 5-seconds and device will turn on in Fastboot.
- Again open the command window like you did above in adb folder.
- Transfer the downloaded file also in same adb folder.
- Now type
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-lux-220.127.116.11.img
- Now recovery will be flashed.
Step 5: Reboot to Recovery mode and Flash SuperSU
Disconnect phone and using volume keys select recovery option in bootloader and reboot to recovery and install SuperSu.zip by selecting Install zip > and selecting supersu.zip to obtain root privilege.
After successfully flashing the SuperSU reboot to system and congratulation now you have proper root access on your Moto X Play.
- If your command window shows waiting for device then you need to install drivers properly or try using another USB port.
- Any other problem email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will help you as soon as possible
Verify Root Access
To verify root access by installing the Root Check from Play Store.
If you faced any trouble or have any thing to say just drop your comment below. Do share the post with friends.